Monday 13 February 2012

Dressing for success

Never mind "The Artist" what about the BAFTA frocks? Vivienne Westwood, Sybil Connolly, Armani and a Valentino “Eco-gown”. Much as I’d like to have the figure to wear one, I’m really glad I don’t have to bother quite that much about what I wear to work.

I did have a little flurry of bothering about it just before Christmas. I smartened up. I was meeting a potential external partner in some new MBA developments and decided that I needed a “customer facing” outfit. I dug around in the back of the cupboard and found things that I haven’t worn for ages. Straight black skirt, white top and short grey jacket. Cool new shoes. It felt good to be sharp. I felt I was standing up straighter and was more alert, potentially more impactful.


I resolved to be smart more of the time.

Then I heard Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple) on the radio. He was talking about whether companies had to be counter-cultural to be radically innovative and to change things to the degree that Apple did (perhaps still will). He contrasted the controlled, formal (and sartorially smart) Singapore with the relaxed, free (and sartorially casual) California and asked which society was more likely to generate a ground-breaking idea. You already know his answer.

When I was recruited to English China Clays in the ‘90’s, it was a condition of my appointment that I dress casually to be in line with the change from hierarchical formality to openness which they were pushing forward. Suits were reserved for customer meetings. Dressing smart to present to the board would have been completely the wrong thing to do. Dress was about giving signals, changing expectations and breaking down barriers, part of creating rather than reflecting culture.

So what do I do now? What cultural message do I want to give to students? How do I want to present myself? It isn’t just a question of being businesslike and professional, it’s also about what kind of business success I project: “conventional” business or creative business?

I’m tending to smarter but rather fitfully which really means that I have a wardrobe full of stuff which needs wearing. And when I work at home it’s often laptop and pyjamas until I go to the gym mid-morning. I expect that's just like Meryl too.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could find the reference, but I read something the other day about a chap doing an interview of Skype in a shirt and tie - and nothing else. A bit like the newsreaders !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so much about dress sometimes, identity, culture, and everything people don't speak explictly but really matters...

    ReplyDelete