Monday 27 October 2014

My Practice Week Experience

My name is Laura Cooper I am a second year HRM student at the University of Bedfordshire and as part of my course we have what are referred to as “practice weeks” these weeks are a great opportunity to learn and experience more about our chosen area of study.

During our practice week we had actual HR professionals that are currently employed by the University come in and talk to us about their own experiences, career and opinions. They spoke about what they liked and disliked about working in HR and what they would change if they could, which was a really useful reality check about what we as future HR professionals would also be facing. 
We were also given a brief on a project they wished us to do the expectation was that we would give a presentation at the end of the week. They also discussed the HR hierarchy which again was very useful to me as it has re-motivated me. When I first started university I had a general sort of aspiration of what I aim to achieve in my future career in HRM. But now I know exactly what I want to be and what I aim to achieve in my future career. I wish to be an HR director and now know roughly what career path I must make to reach that target.

The visiting HR staff also took us to their actual working space which was again a brilliant insight into our own future. We were taken to different areas and talked to five different departments, which I think was the best part of the week as I was unsure of the sections you could work in within HR and know that I would like to start off my career in employee relations.

At the end of the week we gave our group presentations and won prizes for the best and runners up. It was a great project to do as it applied the theoretical knowledge we have been learning to a practice. It was also a nice break from the normal repetitive timetable and routine.

I would recommend to any students attending the university in any degree course to take their practice weeks seriously for what they are, an opportunity that you would be silly to miss.



Learn more about practice weeks and the University of Bedfordshire Business School practice-based vision on our website www.beds.ac.uk/ubbs 

No comments:

Post a Comment